Apache Benchmark Overwriting .dat Files Kills Performance
Have been benchmarking some WordPress plugins today with Apache AB and was wondering why I was getting odd results. I had Apacheab setup to output tests to .dat files named kickassd1, kickassd2, kickassd3, kickassd4, depending on which cache I was testing. A few times I ran tests multiple times and noticed the performance was cut by 50-75%.
Had me scratching my head for a few minutes and than it clicked “it’s overwriting the .dat files!”. Sure enough I removed the corresponding .dat and rerun the benchmark and performance was back to the expected values.
Just a little tip that might save a few people head scratching!